Parents for Public Schools, Inc. (PPS) is seeking a part-time Executive Director to lead this established national organization. Candidates must have a passion for quality public education as a critical element of a democratic society; an understanding of civic engagement strategies and the political process; a deep appreciation for the role of parents as the owners of public schools; an understanding of current and emerging education issues; and an appreciation for the diverse PPS constituency including regional, economic, cultural, racial, gender, age, sexual orientation, and language differences.
The Executive Director will be responsible for leading PPS to the successful accomplishment of three major goals:
- Ensuring high quality implementation of Schoolhouse to Statehouse, a statewide parent engagement strategy in Mississippi, to be completed by 2020; and
- Transforming PPS chapters into a self-sustaining network of high performing organizations, dedicated to supporting and strengthening public schools in their communities.
- Seeking, in collaboration with the Board of Directors, funding to sustain and expand the work over time.
Funding for the position is guaranteed through May 2020.
- Proven record of organizational leadership; minimum of three years or equivalent experience as a manager/director;
- Strong understanding of the public education system;
- Solid business acumen with good financial understanding of running a successful non-profit corporation or organization;
- Ability to effectively execute multiple strategies with limited resources;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Success in developing sustainable fundraising strategies and actionable plans to achieve them in a nonprofit environment;
- Self-directed leader with the ability to build trusting relationships across multiple constituencies;
- Innovative leader who takes initiative to champion new ideas and garner the necessary buy-in to ensure successful implementation
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in a related field preferred
Job Responsibilities – Executive Director reports to a national board of directors and has direct fiscal responsibility for managing, maintaining, and growing the organization. Duties include:
- Managing and leading organization and staff of 6-10 professionals;
- Overseeing development of the network of chapters;
- Fundraising to sustain and grow the organization;
- Public speaking, submission of written materials for publication, and networking;
- Cultivating diverse national board membership.
Submit resume and cover letter (in electronic format) detailing how your specific experience and qualifications match this position to:
Jeanne Jehl, National Board President Parents for Public Schools, Inc. email@example.com
Salary and benefits competitive and commensurate with skills and experience. Resumes accepted until July 1, 2018.
PPS provides a distinctive community-based framework to bring parents together across historic divisions and special interests to champion public education and advocate for equity. The national headquarters is in Jackson, Mississippi. Candidates in other locations are encouraged to apply; the director will be expected to make and maintain connections and relationships and travel to Jackson on a regular basis.
PPS is an equal opportunity employer.